It is a pleasure to welcome you to the International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ), and we look forward to working with partner governments and organisations to fulfil the vision of its founders.
This vision centres around the IIJ serving as a hub for the development and delivery of training and other capacity-building support to criminal justice practitioners and other relevant stakeholders in the North, East, and West Africa, the Middle East, and other select regions. We focus on how to counter terrorism and related criminal activity while respecting human rights and promoting the rule of law. More specifically, the IIJ holds seminars and other programmes, working with international, regional, national and non-governmental organisations for primarily police, prosecutors, judges, prison officials, and parliamentarians. As the Institute evolves, our partnerships are now helping to serve as a bridge that facilitates a wide variety of action addressing the life-cycle of radicalisation.
To date, the programmes have focused on such topics as
1) Investigation, prosecution and adjudication of terrorism cases, including those involving ISIS-inspired and linked home-grown extremists (HVEs);
2) building police and judicial networks;
3) developing judicial capacity to preside over terrorism trials;
4) protecting the rights of the accused and the security of witnesses, prosecutors, and judges;
5) fostering regional and international co-operation;
6) addressing the phenomenon of the Foreign Terrorist Fighters (FTFs);
and 7) responding to the challenge posed by terrorism within a rule of law framework.
The IIJ in all the above strongly promotes the good practices developed and/or identified by the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and other international partners to produce more systemic, whole-of-government approaches to address the terrorist threat and related transnational security challenges. The IIJ looks forward to supporting your efforts. Please do not hesitate to contact our team (email@example.com) with questions regarding the IIJ. I look forward to continuing to work for an Institute which we can all use to improve international collaboration...